Gary Graham – ROAD TREKKER

Click here for Gary Graham – ROAD TREKKER

Wednesday, December 26, 2018
Baja Reef Conservation Catches On in 2018

Travel Tidbits
The past six weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, which as usual has managed to be filled with a few unplanned adventures. But for adventures to happen, one must remain flexible, meeting many challenges, as I’ve learned over the years.

Back-to-back-to-back Cabo tournaments, including the Bisbee Los Cabos Offshore, the monster Black and Blue (with the $3 Million Plus winner), and then on to the WON Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot record-breaking extravaganza!

RACE OUT OF the Harbor with a mariachi band playing, water boats shooting water, and race entries dressed in costumes… got some great photos for my files.

In between a couple of the tournaments was a last-minute unraveling of an airline reservation in order for me to be in San Diego for the start of Baja HaHa Race. That was quite an unexpected treat. I was on the boat with some great folks including Port dignitaries and my good friend Ken Franke, SAC President, plus many others who were celebrating the kickoff, following the Race out of the Harbor with a mariachi band playing, water boats shooting water, and race entries dressed in costumes… got some great photos for my files.

This was followed by the Grand Opening of the Marina in Loreto over a weekend; quite an impressive marina with the most modern of docks with all the latest amenities capable of handling 200-foot yachts. In Loreto, I was staying at the Tripui Hotel in Puerto Escondido and originally had been scheduled to fly back to California from Loreto on Monday.

However, there was a last-minute invitation to go on a Gray Tag Research Satellite Tagging trip a few days later in Cabo San Lucas, and I didn’t want to miss it. Not only was there a lot going on, it was spread all over Baja Sur.

Since I needed to be in Cabo no later than Monday night, I cancelled my Loreto/San Diego flight and arranged to a hitch a ride to Cabo with Rene Olinger from her home in Loreto. She was to volunteer at the WON Tuna Jackpot in Cabo.

Unfortunately, her trip was delayed until Tuesday, so I decided to take a Tres Estrellas bus from Loreto to Cabo San Lucas. Since this was a new adventure for me, I went online and figured out the schedule and drove to the Bus Depot in Loreto, where I paid $51 for a ticket with an assigned seat on a bus departing on Monday morning at 8 a.m.

No sweat, problem solved.

My buddy, Capt. Patricia Miller Rains, co-author of Mexico Boating Guide, was also attending the Marina Puerto Escondido Grand Opening. She generously volunteered to follow me down at 6 a.m. on Monday morning to return my rental car and take me into town to catch my bus, but I assured her that I could drop the car off and catch a taxi into town.

Big mistake.

Monday morning, I was up at zero-dark-thirty, packed and headed for the airport. Going down the uneven, unlighted staircase, lugging a heavy suitcase plus my heavy backpack, I managed to miss the bottom stair – skinning both knees severely.

Picking myself, my suitcase and my backpack up, I drove to the Loreto Airport, arriving about 6 a.m. Everything was closed and the only person I could find was a gardener, a pleasant chap who spoke only Spanish. After a lengthy discussion, he assured me that a taxi would arrive soon. At 7 a.m., I asked him again. He swore that they would be there no later than 7:30, which was of some concern since I was estimating that I was 20 minutes from the Depot. At this point, I offered to pay him to drive me but he explained he couldn’t leave his work.

At 7:20 a.m., I decided that my only hope was to walk back out to Mex 1 and flag down the bus as it whizzed by. Off I went, skinned knees aching, doing double-time dragging my heavy bag and my backpack filled with camera equipment on my back.

I refused to allow myself to look at my cell to check the time; “Just keep walking,” became my mantra and I repeated it over and over as I plodded toward the main highway.

On a mission, I didn’t stop until I made it to Mex 1 about a mile from the airport at 8:05 a.m. There I positioned myself on the west side of the highway gazing north as traffic sped by.

My only hope was that I hadn’t missed the bus. After about 15 minutes of staring at each vehicle that approached, a shiny pickup slowed, and pulled off in front of me. I walked to the driver’s side as the tinted window rolled down; I was pleased to see that it was Ricky Trevor of “Outpost Charters.”

Trevor asked, “Do you need help?” Thanking him, I explained I was waiting for the bus. WOW! Fewer than 15 minutes had passed and someone I knew had stopped… impressive!

Several busses did pass by and I tried desperately to read the Destination signs hoping that the right one would stop and pick me up. Finally, one came over the rise with Cabo San Lucas as the destination.

I began waving frantically while edging closer to the side of the road tightly hanging onto my suitcase. The Greyhound-like bus slowed, pulled off the road and the door swung open. The driver hopped out, looked at my ticket and satisfied, motioned to the bay under the bus. He slung my heavy bag in and slammed the door, as I boarded. Breathing a sigh of relief, I realized I had made it!

As it turns out, the bus stops for anyone on the side of the road; they let people off anywhere -- at the gates in front of homes/farms/corrals. Plus, they stop at every Bus Terminal along the way. From La Paz down, it was standing room only. It was about 5:30 p.m. when I finally stepped off at the Bus Terminal in Cabo.

From there to my apartment, a short Uber-style ride, cost around $10, including tip.

A challenge that became an adventure – “Road Trekking” even without the Roadtrek van can be a blast!

So, until next time …

* * *

We hope you enjoyed this article on our no-charge website wonews.com. Of course, this site contains only a small fraction of the stories that Western Outdoor Publications produces each week in its two northern and southern editions and its special supplements. You can subscribe to the print issue that is mailed weekly and includes the easy flip-page full-color digital issues, or you can purchase a digital only subscription. Click here to see the choice.

Reader Comments

Oh, Gary, what a story! Even for someone like you with scads of experience traveling in Mexico, sometimes bad things just happens. Yet when you're up the creek without the paddle, some unexpected alternatives also show up, like Ricky Trevor and the accommodating bus driver. Glad to hear that adventure ended well. You're the best!
Pat Rains
Leave a Comment
* Name:
* Email:
Website (optional):
* Comment:

Advertise with Western Outdoor News