ANAHEIM/CORONA — It’s summer time and the catfish are biting at the Santa Ana River Lakes and Corona Lake. That’s right, they are now stocking catfish exclusively at both fisheries, but they have a huge surprise for all you fishermen. As you may know, they own the largest catfish farm in the state of California and they have been hoarding and growing the only supply of blue catfish in the state. They now have over 300,000 blues for the exclusive stocking of SARL and Corona.
Their current stock of these beauties ranges in size from 2 to as much as 20 pounds or more. They are excited about these blue cats for many reasons, so listen up…
Blues are one of the largest species of catfish in the United States, and the current world record was caught in the Mississippi River and weighed 130 pounds. But there is much mystery, legend and myth about blues. Stories of fish up to 200 pounds and 8 feet in length, and stories of blues attacking scuba divers are common.
But here are some facts about blues:
1. They are ferocious predators, and will eat crayfish, mussels, frogs, minnows, sunfish, suckers, carp and they love shad. They are a true game fish.
2. They eat dead baits, cut baits, worms and even stink baits are excellent choices.
3. They are fast growers and live 20 to 40 years.
4. Blues are prized by fishermen not only for their size but their stubbornness and fighting ability when hooked. Once hooked, the angler will have a long, tough battle.
5. Blues have a smaller head and they dress out, with more meat per pound than channel cats.
6. More information about blue catfish and the best ways to catch them will be on the lakes’ website very soon: www.fishinglakes.com.
Now listen to this: For their Catfish Grand Opening on Memorial Day Weekend, May 25th, they will be exclusively stocking blue cats, with one exception… They will stock some huge silver channel cats at 20 pounds, maybe even larger. This will be the greatest Catfish Opener.
Don’t forget they will have 24-hour fishing every weekend beginning May 11th, then throughout the Summer.
This will be the best summer of catfishing ever! Don’t miss it! Be there!